THE WISCONSIN
The Wisconsin was built by Palmer's Shipbuilding & Iron Co., Jarrow-on-Tyne, Newcastle, England in 1870. It was owned by the Gurion line and began its maiden voyage in Liverpool and sailed to New York in October 1866. Its burthen was 3,238 tons, with dimensions of 366' x 43' and an iron hull. It had one funnel and two masts and used a single-screw powered by compound engines, with a speed of 11.5 knots. Its sister ship was the Wyoming.

It was one of the earliest compound-engined ships built for trans-Atlantic service. The tonnage was increased to 3,700 tons at later date. It was scrapped in 1893.

The Wisconsin was chartered by the church to carry return missionaries and converts from Liverpool, England to New York. They left Liverpool 27 June, 1877 and arrived in New York 7 July, 1877. .

Records of the journey can be found in the Mormon Immigration Index. The following information is from that index.

"DEPARTURE. -- The S. S. Wisconsin left Liverpool on the 27th ultimo, with quite a company of emigration, including from Scandinavia, Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, Holland, and England, some 714 souls, with the returning elders as follows: Bishop J. Rowberry, who had charge of the whole, Brother E. F. Branting in charge of the Scandinavians, Brother Martin Lenzi in charge of the Swiss and German, Brother P. J. Lammers in charge of those from Holland, and Brother Rulon S. Wells as recorder; also Brothers L. Wirthlin, S. Nilsen, J. A. Andersen, C. Jensen, H. P. Iversen, H. Thunneson, C. Larsen and Jens Keller, who would aid after organization in securing the comfort and welfare of the traveling Saints. It was remarked by officers of the Guion Co. that they had never seen a company start with such precision before, there was no hitch anywhere; the inspection was passed successfully, and noted by the examining physician as including a remarkably healthy and extra proportion of children. The company have the hearty prayers of the Saints in Europe for their safe arrival in Zion; and for the returning elders, blessing for their labors in the gospel, and best wishes for pleasant renewal of the associations of family and friends."

". . . The first company of the season's emigration from Scandinavia sailed from Copenhagen, June 21, 1877, in two steamships, namely, the 'Argo' and the 'Pacific.' There were 471 souls of emigrants and eight returning missionaries, namely, Erik F. Branting, John A. Anderson, Sven Nilsson, Christen Jensen, Hans Peter Iversen, Eric M. Larsen, Hans Thunnesen and Jens Keller.

For several days prior to the departure the emigrating Saints had gathered in Copenhagen from the different conferences, and the elders who had the emigration affairs in hand were very busy at the mission office, making their arrangements. The emigrating Saints seemed very satisfied and happy in saying goodbye to the lands of their nativity, to gather with the people of God in the valleys of the mountains. The embarkation of the Saints took place without accident or the least disturbance. The greater part of the emigrants went on board the 'Argo,' while a small company, mostly emigrants from the Christiania and Goteborg Conferences, took passage on the 'Pacific.' About 6:30 p.m. the 'Argo' steamed out of the harbor and was soon afterwards followed by the 'Pacific.' After a successful voyage across the North Sea, both ships arrived safely in Hull, England, on Sunday, June 24th, the 'Argo' at 9 o'clock a.m. and the 'Pacific' at 8 o'clock p.m.

The emigrants landed the following day (June 25th) and proceeded at once by railroad to Liverpool, where they boarded the steamship 'Wisconsin,' together with a number of British, German, Swiss, and Dutch Saints. Bishop John Rowberry was appointed captain of the whole company, while Elder Erik F. Branting was continued as captain of the Scandinavian emigrants. The 'Wyoming' [Wisconsin] sailed from Liverpool, June 27th, and arrived in New York, July 7th. From New York the journey was continued by rail westward the same day and the emigrants arrived safe and well in Ogden and Salt Lake City, July 14th. Three Scandinavian couples were married en route and a hour after the arrival in Salt Lake City, the wife of Martin Christensen, from the Aalborg Conference, gave birth to a daughter. . . ."

The image shows a part of the passenger list of the journey.

Passenger # 579 is Dora Evers who became Hans Peter Iverson's third wife. Passenger # 777 is Hans Peter Iverson who is returning to Utah from a mission in Denmark. Also on the ship, but not listed in the manifest, is Juliana Johannah Dorthea Christensen who became Hans Peter's second wife.