The following information is from the Mormon Immigration Index.
The William Tapscott was one of the largest full-rigged ships built in Maine during the 1850s. She was a typical "Down Easter"-sturdy, moneymaking, moderately sparred, and designed for carrying capacity. She was a three- decker with a square stem and billethead. Among her owners, including her namesake, were such well-known mariners as William Drummond, Gilbert C. Trufant, and George B. Cornish. She hailed from New York. After plying the oceans for about forty years the William Tapscott was lost in the English Channel in the early 1890s.
In three voyages the square-rigger William Tapscott transported 2262 Mormon emigrants-the greatest number of any sailing craft. Captain James B. Bell was master during these passages. The first began at Liverpool on 11 April 1859. Under the presidency of Elder Robert F. Neslen and his counselors, Henry H. Harris and George Rowley, the 725 Saints were organized into five English and Swiss wards occupying one side of the ship and five Scandinavian wards the other side. Each ward had a presiding elder responsible for cleanliness and good order. Despite the fact that nine languages were spoken, there were harmonious feelings and unity among the Saints. It was a pleasant and successful voyage. Morning and evening prayers were held, as well as regular religious services. Entertainment consisted of singing, instrumental music, games, and dancing. There was only one death, but two births and nineteen weddings were recorded. After a thirty-three-day passage the emigrants landed at New York on 14 May.
The following year---11 May 1860 the William Tapscott sailed from Liverpool with 730 Saints from Britain, Scandinavia, and Switzerland on board. Elder Asa Calkin presided over the company. His counselors were Elders William Budge and Carl Widerborg. The voyage was stormy and unpleasant, and adding to the distress smallpox broke out among the Scandinavian Saints. During the thirty-five-day passage there were ten deaths, four births, and nine marriages. When the vessel arrived at the quarantine point in the New York harbor on 15 June, physicians came aboard and vaccinated most of the passengers and crew. It was not until 20 June that the emigrants were permitted ashore.
The third and largest company of 807 Saints sailed from Liverpool on 14 May 1862. Prior to the vessel's departure Apostles Amasa M. Lyman, Charles C. Rich, and George Q. Cannon came aboard and organized the company. Elder William Gibson was appointed president, and his counselors were Elders John Clark and Francis M. Lyman. The Saints were then divided into nineteen wards, and during the voyage prayers were held morning and evening. After a successful forty-two-day passage the ship reached New York on 25 June.