THE CELTIC


The Celtic was built by Harland & Wolff, Ltd., Belfast, Ireland in 1872 and owned by the White Star line. Its burthen was 3,888 tons, with dimensions of 437' x 40'. It had one funnel and four masts and used a single-screw powered by compound engines, with a speed of 14 knots. Its sister ship was the Adriatic.

It maiden voyage began in Liverpool on October 24, 1872 and ended in New York. In 1891 it was renamed Amerika and it was scrapped in 1898.

The image below shows a part of the passenger list of journey begun in Liverpool and ending on 8 February, 1882 in New York.

Passenger # 1 listed as James Goodles is really James Godber, # 2 is his second wife Ann, # 3 is his brother Isaac and # 6 is his daughter Mabel Alice.