The Caravan was chartered by the church to carry return missionaries and converts from Liverpool, England to New Yotk. They left Liverpool on 18 February, 1856 and arrived in New York on 27 March, 1856.

The following information is from the Mormon Immigration Index.

"THE SHIP CARAVAN. -- On the 14th February we cleared 457 passengers (Saints) on this ship bound for New York, under the presidency of Elders Daniel Tyler, Edward Bunker, Leonard I. Smith, and William Walker. Among the passengers were two families of Scandinavian Saints, who were detained, by sickness, from going on the J. J. Boyd."

"THE SHIP CARAVAN. -- Elder J. Taylor writes from New York, under date of April 2, as follows -- 'The Caravan arrived on the 27th ultimo, all well, no death but one child three years old. Those going forward have already started for their places of destination, the remainder, I think, will get employ.'"

"NINETY-SECOND COMPANY. -- Caravan. on the fourteenth of February, 1856, the ship Caravan cleared from the port of Liverpool, with 457 Saints on board, under the presidency of Elders Daniel Tyler, Edward Bunker, Leonard I. Smith and William Walker. Among the passengers were two families of Scandinavian Saints, who were detained, by sickness from going on the John J. Boyd. On the fifteenth the presidency of the company divided the Saints into five sections, or wards, and Elder John Bulter was placed in charge of the Welsh Saints on board. Owing to storms and contrary winds, the ship did not get under weigh until the eighteenth. After a prosperous voyage, though stormy at times, the Caravan arrived in New York on the twenty-seventy of March, after a passage of forty-one days. During the voyage three children were born, and one passenger died. One couple were united in the bonds of matrimony, on which occasion the American flag was unfurled to the breeze, bells were rung, and all the jollifications made that were possible on shipboard in fair weather. On one occasion, while a storm was raging, a sailor fell head foremost from the foreyard of the vessel and expired almost instantly.

Soon after arriving in New York, those who expected to go forward to the outfitting place on the frontiers started for Iowa City, while a number who had not the means wherewith to continue the journey, obtained temporary employment in New York and elsewhere. (Millennial Star, Vol. XVIII,

Autobiography of Edward Bunker After landing in Liverpool we reported ourselves to the presidency of the mission in Liverpool at the office of the Millennial Star. I was appointed to preside over the Bristol conference in the place of George Halliday who was released to emigrate. I presided there about three months, then I was called to care for Mr. Clayton's field of labor, he being sent home. That field included Sheffield, Bradford, and Lincolnshire conference. I labored there two years then was released to preside in Scotland which included the conferences of Dundee, Glasgow and Edinburgh. I labored there one year then was released to come home. There were about five hundred emigrants, all Saints, and some returning elders on board ship and presided over by Daniel Tyler. [p.7]

The voyage was pleasant with the exception of one storm during which one sailor was drowned. We landed in New York, at Castle Garden, thence by rail to St. Louis, then by steamboat up the Mississippi River to Iowa City, which place we reached in the month of June, 1856. Here the company were fitted out with handcarts. I was given charge of a Welsh Company and left Iowa City, June 28, 1856. We procured our provisions and teams to haul our supplies at Council Bluffs. After leaving Iowa City we encountered some heavy rain and wind storms which blew down our tents and washed away our handcarts. I got a heavy drenching which brought on a spell of rheumatism that confined me to my bed a portion of the journey.

I had for my counselors brothers Grant, a Scotchman and a tailor by trade, and MacDonald, a cabinet maker, neither of whom had had much experience in handling teams. Both were returned missionaries. The Welsh had no experience at all and very few of them could speak English. This made my burden very heavy. I had the mule team to drive and had to instruct the teamsters about yoking the oxen. The journey from Missouri River to Salt Lake City was accomplished in 65 days. We were short of provisions all the way and would have suffered for food had not supplies reached us from the valley. However, we arrived safely in Salt Lake City, October 2, 1856. . . [p.8]

The image below shows part of the passenger list of the journey.

Passengers # 249-251 are Elizabeth Wilkes from Tewkesbury, England with her children Sarah and John.